Andreas Barkoulis, one of the most famous Greek actors of the 50’s and 60’s, passed away today in Athens, Greece at the age of 80.
He was considered such a heartthrob that a popular expression of the era was created for him: “Eh koritsia, o Barkoulis!” (Hey girls, it’s Barkoulis!).
In his career, he starred in some 110 films such as:
- Mimikos and Mary (1958)
- An Italian woman in Greece (1958)
- A holiday in Aegina (1958)
- Mousitsa (1959)
- Have you seen Panayis? (1962)
- The Bait (1964) – with Aliki Vougiouklaki
- Jenny, Jenny (1965) – with Jenny Karezi
- Isaiah, don’t dance (1969)
- A crazy, crazy 40-year old woman (1970)
- The victim’s logic (1990)
In the 70’s, Barkoulis left for the US where he briefly followed a singing career. Since his return to Greece in 1978, he mostly played in the theater.