Philadelphia, PA – Honored guests, the Greek community, the Evzones from Greece, and dignitaries attended the Greek Independence Day Annual Banquet on Saturday evening, where the Centennial Marshals, Honorary Marshals, Grand Marshal, and the Eleftheria Medal recipient were recognized for their dedication to Hellenism.
The evening launched with the singing of the national anthems of Greece and the United States. Mistress of Ceremonies Elena Panariti was assisted by Federation President Dimitrios Rozanitis and Efstathios Karadonis.
Throughout the evening, gifts were exchanged between the Hellenic Federation and Greece’s representatives, as they were welcomed to Philadelphia for this historic two-hundredth anniversary. Applause and cheers followed when the Evzones entered the Adelphia restaurant hall.
The celebration also featured a folk dance performance from Panama, in honor of the Consul General of Panama in Philadelphia, The Honorable Georgia Athanasopulos. During the performance, members of the Greek community joined the performers on the dance floor.
The evening concluded with the Eleftheria Medal presentation to George G. Horiates, Esq. and was followed by a speech from His Eminence Archbishop Elpidophoros, Exarch of the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans.
Centennial Honorary Marshals
- His Eminence Archbishop Elpidophoros, Exarch of the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans
- Jimmy Kokotas, AHEPA Supreme President
- Maria Anna Pantelous, Maids of Athena
- Her Excellency Alexandra Papadopoulos, Ambassador of the Hellenic Republic to the United States
- The Honorable Dr. Konstantinos Koutras, Consul General of Greece in New York
- Spiros Skliros, Honorary Consul of the Hellenic Republic to Panama
- The Honorable Georgia Athanasopulos, Consul General of Panama in Philadelphia
- George G. Horiates, Esq., Past AHEPA Supreme President