Saint George Greek Orthodox Cathedral in Philadelphia, PA, is seeking a reliable and proactive Caretaker (Neokoros) of the Church. The Caretaker reports to the Dean of the Cathedral and the Parish Council.
This is a full-time position averaging up to 40 hours per week and does not offer benefits. The successful candidate in this position is responsible for day-to-day cleaning, up-keeping, and maintaining the facilities and equipment of the Cathedral. Work is non-technical but does require some knowledge in the operating and functioning of specific facility equipment.
Some decisions will be required within limits of general procedures and specifications. Some directions will be required from the Parish Council and the Buildings and Grounds Committee. It is the responsibility of the Caretaker to ensure that the facilities are cleaned and sanitized in a condition of operating excellence, cleanliness, and safety.
The successful candidate will be self-motivated with a professional demeanor and presence, a positive attitude, a strong work ethic, and excellent verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
Qualifications and Skills
- Must be available to be in the Cathedral during the week, Sundays, and feast days to carry out his/her duties.
- Be diligent and understand the importance of this ministry.
- Have an understanding of the Liturgical Life of the Orthodox Church and Tradition.
- Have some understanding of the Greek Language, though it is not mandatory.
- Have a reverence for the sacred vessels and the holy spaces with which they are working.
- Have the ability to work alone or with another person as a team.
- Energetic and take pride in keeping the Cathedral, and the premises of the Cathedral, including all the facilities, clean.
- Physically capable of carrying out the required activities.
- Flexible in availability to accommodate the schedule of the Cathedral activities and events.
- Be a baptized Christian.
Pay is $13.00 – 15.00 per hour.
For a complete job description and more information, please contact the Cathedral office at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 215-627-4389 during working hours, from Monday to Friday, from 9:30 am to 4:30 pm.